old version (Basic Memberships)
The League of Women Voters is the most respected and effective grassroots organization in the country and membership is open to men and women of all ages. Your membership alone gives us the political influence needed to build a voice for citizens and be a force for change.
Our members make a visible difference by serving as community leaders using their experience to create positive, lasting change in our communities. However, NO time commitment is required to be a member.
Why Should I Become A LWV Member?
- Ability to vote on the positions we take.
- Empower voters and help protect their right to vote.
- Educate and inform citizens on current issues and the political process.
- Learn about (and take action) on important issues in our community.
- Make professional contacts and develop lasting friendships as you meet others in League who share your interests.
- Enable more people from our local League to attend conventions (Leagues with more members are allowed to send more people).
- Add your voice to a powerful force of members from across the U.S. and Hong Kong.
- Local League membership also includes membership to the National and Illinois Leagues.
- Receive publications from the LWVUS and LWVIL along with our local newsletter, the Voter.
- Help MAKE DEMOCRACY WORK!
Which Membership Level is Right For Me?
100% of the Individual and Household membership dues goes to the LWVIL and LWVUS. The higher level "Defenders of Democracy" memberships are acknowledged in the newsletter and are the only memberships that provide financial support to our local League.
Scholarships are also available for those with limited income. Please contact the Membership Chair.
Dues are not tax-deductible. We are a 501(c)(3) organization.