LWVGP Local Government Positions
The following positions are based on study by the League of Women Voters of Greater Peoria and voted on by League members.
City Government Positions
The League of Women Voters of Greater Peoria affirms its support of Council-Manager Government for the City of Peoria.
The League supports the election of the members elected from districts and a portion of the council members elected at-large on a non-partisan basis with staggered terms.
The League of Women Voters of Greater Peoria supports Home Rule for the City of Peoria as provided for in the Home Rule Section of the 1970 Illinois Constitution (Article 7, Section 6).
Redistricting City Districts
The League of Women Voters of Greater Peoria feels that a good redistricting plan should include:
1. Districts of generally equal population. Variations from average should be no more than 5% with less than 3% being more desirable;
2. Compact and contiguous districts;
3. Districts which would not divide minority population areas unless the above requirement cannot be met without such divisions;
4. Use of major thoroughfares as boundary lines unless the above requirements cannot be met with such lines;
5. Precinct changes only when necessary to meet the above requirements. (Consensus does not relate to precinct changes which may be necessary for other reasons than redistricting.)
The above items are listed in order of importance as expressed by the membership of the LWV of Greater Peoria.